Sunday, January 16, 2011

Day one Cape Raoul

A frustrating first day, packing our bags at the Cape Raoul walking trail I realized I had left my chalk bag behind. Not much to be done about that Off we went. A beautiful walk into the cape, we got pretty excited about been out there. We started the mission along the Cape Raoul actual the sun was out things were happening. Getting to the first rappel I abseiled down... The rope we had borrowed wasn't long enough! Not wanting to prussic all the way back up I came up with a plan; Kez raps down to me we tie into opposing ends and I climb up till she reaches the ground (about 5m away) then I realign the ropes rap down to the ledge we were on and down climb the last few meters to the ground. Sorted! Ba-bow... The rope wouldn't budge it was stuck, we tried for ages nada, so up I went after all. Once at the top I could sort the rope so Kez could get down then I pulled it up and found a different descent. Alex and Simon had joined us by now. We began the first pitch up the wedding cake but soon decided it was way too windy to safely continue so we bailed. After pitching camp and a short snooze Kez and I went in search of new lines inspired by some of what we had seen earlier on the approach. Sadly we didn't have the required cams for the lines and pulled the pin, after scrambling out the gully I went to put my sunnies on and they weren't in my pocket! So the day was a complete fail. Well except I found a free standing pillar Cape Raoul is famous for that will go on natural gear! Days like today have to serve some purpose, been physically fit and mentally pysched but not getting a chance at your goals can be pretty frustrating. I guess for me I try to learn patience, and know that failures can only serve to sweeten the success when it finally comes. I mean it could be worse than hanging out with someone you love in a national park on the Tasman Penisula.

1 comment:

  1. Mate,
    Half your luck! Enjoy it till you have to get a job!!
    RL

    ReplyDelete